The current COVID-19 testing strategy in the United States is estimated by the CDC to pick up less than 10% of infections. Dr. Seheult of MedCram.com features snippets from a recent This Week in Virology (Episode 640) with Dr. Michael Mina of Harvard who explains that the technology exists for at home, inexpensive, self-administered, “paper” COVID-19 tests that are likely accurate enough to pick up the vast majority infectious cases of COVID-19. And how lower sensitivity of inexpensive tests may be ideal for a screening test that is performed with high frequency. Utilization of paper type COVID-19 tests may provide the optimal path forward to curtail the growth of COVID-19 and open schools and our economy in a much safer way. (This video was recorded July 20, 2020).
LINKS / REFERENCES:
This Week in Virology Episode 640 | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDj4Zyq3yOA
NEJM | https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMc2001737
NYU Study on Abbott ID Now | https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.11.089896v1.full.pdf
New York Times | https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/opinion/coronavirus-tests.html
Test Sensitivity is Secondary to Frequency (Dr. Mina) | https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.06.22.20136309v2
Abbott ID Now | https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/product-and-innovation/how-id-now-tackles-covid-19.html
CNN Test Costs | https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/15/health/coronavirus-test-cost/index.html
Johns Hopkins Tracker | https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Live Science | https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-should-schools-reopen-fall.html
Korean CDC | https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030
Washington Post | https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/long-delays-in-getting-test-results-hobble-coronavirus-response/2020/07/12/d32f7fa8-c1fe-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html
Reuters | https://www.reuters.com/article/us-questdiagnostics-outlook/quest-says-many-u-s-covid-19-tests-taking-more-than-a-week-idUSKCN24E1CE
THE MEDCRAM WEBSITE:
Visit us for videos on over 60 medical topics and CME / CEs for medical professionals: https://www.medcram.com
SUBSCRIBE TO THE MEDCRAM YOUTUBE CHANNEL:
Get notified of new videos by hitting the bell icon:
PREVIOUS COVID-19 UPDATES:
Please visit MedCram.com for the full series:
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 97: Vitamin D & COVID-19 Immunity, The Endothelium, & Deficiencies https://youtu.be/Mdc7T2UTHBI
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 96: RNA Vaccine; Ivermectin; von Willebrand Factor and COVID-19 https://youtu.be/kk7KNBak-i0
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 95: Widespread Clotting on Autopsy; New COVID-19 Prognostic Data https://youtu.be/bPDVzt79UMU
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 94: Inhaled Steroids COVID-19 Treatment; New Pneumonia in Kazakhstan? https://youtu.be/BG5pEDKbQv0
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 93: Antibodies, Immunity, & Prevalence of COVID-19 – New Data from Spain https://youtu.be/KRCnj3c_x7U
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 92: Blood Clots & COVID-19 – New Research & Potential Role of NAC https://youtu.be/kK-DNyKnb5c
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 91: Remdesivir Pricing & Disparities in Drug Availability https://youtu.be/XIEmvEQzAf4
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 90: Assess The Quality of COVID-19 Info With A Validated Research Tool https://youtu.be/u9fFfO5AgQE
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 89: COVID 19 Infections Rising in Many States; Dexamethasone Cautions https://youtu.be/VMTQ6qNXVlw
– Coronavirus Pandemic Update 88: Dexamethasone History & Mortality Benefit Data Released From UK https://youtu.be/phN0enMN_RE
All coronavirus updates are at MedCram.com (including the diagnosis, prevention, treatment, vaccine developments, dexamethasone, Rapid COVID-19 Testing, paper covid 19 tests , vitamin D, SARS-CoV-2 antibody tests, coronavirus misinformation, infodemic, peer-reviewed research, and more).
We offer many other medical topics (ECG Interpretation, thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, myocardial infarction, hypertension, anticoagulation, DKA, acute kidney injury, influenza, measles, mechanical ventilation, etc.) at our website.
MEDCRAM WORKS WITH MEDICAL PROGRAMS AND HOSPITALS:
MedCram offers group discounts for students and a variety of medical programs, hospitals, and other institutions. Contact us at email@example.com if you are interested.
Roger Seheult, MD
Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Disease, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine.
Associate Professor at the University of California, Riverside School of Medicine
Media Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Media contact info: https://www.medcram.com/pages/media-contact
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
MedCram medical videos are for medical education and exam preparation, and NOT intended to replace recommendations from your doctor.
#COVID19 #SARSCoV2 #FOAMed